Saturday 26 April 2008

I Think I'm Starting to Peak, Now, Al

For Mike May, this is a lyric from "Shadrach," from Paul's Boutique. If I haven't said it before, and I probably have, Paul's Boutique is absolutely one of the top 5 records. If pressed, my top five would probably go:

Sticky Fingers - Rolling Stones
Let It Bleed - Rolling Stones
Abbey Road - Beatles
Paul's Boutique - Beastie Boys
Toys In The Attic - Aerosmith

On any given day, Sticky Fingers could be replaced by Some Girls, Abbey Road could be replaced by Rubber Soul or Revolver, you get the point. Paul's Boutique always makes it. It's like the 'Blazing Saddles' of music for me - if I start it, I'm going to finish it.

I read recently that Paul's Boutique was the last record made before the window closed on rampant sampling. If you could identify every song that they sample (and one site aims to do just that), you would have such an articulate, diverse list of references that it would probably explode your brain. If Pandora were able to unwind Paul's Boutique and just start playing referenced songs one after the other, man you would have a field day with that.

The big underlying thread of all of the albums which become eligible for my top five is that they are all start to finish affairs. I feel like the making of a record now, produced from start to finish to provide a continuous experience, is waning. I'm as guilty as anyone in this, since I blame it entirely on music downloads and I haven't bought an actual record in any format in at least 5 years.

I think I'm starting to peak. I did 7 repeats up Ridge Road to Ross last night, keeping them all under 2:45 from gate to gate from a cold start. No racing or riding today, 7am ride tomorrow if I get up otherwise 10am ride, then a mellow week before Poolesville. I'm really excited for that race.

No comments: