Sunday 9 March 2008

Raw Talent And Easy Money

The 4 team is spending the weekend at the Raw Talent Ranch, which, as near as I can tell, is cycling nirvana. As you arrive, you begin to consider "okay, I'm going to have to climb this to get home to the ranch each day?" Actually, not. There are two other options for climbing home. Both of them are harder. Our loop yesterday was I think 50 miles (the Powertap was not man enough to make it through, and had to sit in a warm dark place and dry out overnight - it works now, though), which took nearly 4 hours. There were three main climbs, the first two of which were Skyline-esque, just dump it into a wicked low gear, find a good rhythm and go. The third - the third was, how shall I say, well it made everyone pretty much need to curl up in a fetal position at the end of it. One guy was gagging over a guardrail halfway up. As I got to the top of the climb after 35 minutes of suffering my guts out, a thunderstorm started, complete with sleet and hail. I rode the last two miles to the barn with my right hand cupped over the right side of my face so in a vain attempt to keep my eyeballs from getting pelted. It was the most fun I've ever had on a bicycle, by far.

You really would have to come here to believe how perfect the setup is. Just get here and see for yourself. We're already scheduling the next trip.

No comments: