Monday 6 August 2012

Moralizing

It's been a good while since I got all sanctimonious and self-righteous. Yesterday, 3 of us went for a ride from the Marshall Park and Ride. It's a loop I've done a million times, and a half million times with the power trio that did it yesterday. As we were getting ready to go, two guys rolled up and, being less spent than we are, got on their bikes and rolled. One had his black cycling cap cocked at a jaunty angle to cover his shaved head in the freaking salamander broiler of a day that was yesterday, but no helmet. Presumably a black cap is a whole lot cooler than a helmet. I remarked how stupid I think it is to ride without a helmet and the others agreed.

Of course they latched on when we passed them. I didn't want any part of riding with people not wearing helmets, so soon enough I dropped back to nicely explain that we had no problem with them riding along behind us if they were wearing helmets but as it was we'd prefer if they didn't. Johnny Pantani just gave me the blank stare. We came to an intersection where, if they'd given us a two second head start, we would have sailed away and it would have been a total non-issue. Nope. The next turn comes up soon enough so we just stopped there for a minute and let them by. Of course we'd catch them in short order but what are you going to do? Fortunately, just as we were about to overtake them again, they went a different way.

I don't prefer it if random people latch on to me or a small group I'm in, but it happens all the time. People have stronger feelings that it's their right to suck my wheel than I have objections to their doing so. Just please don't talk and please don't take a pull or halfwheel me or whatever. You're the one whose behavior changed in order for you to come along with me, I'm doing just the same as I was before and I'd please like to keep it that way.

Really great ride otherwise. Hot, though.

No comments: