Tuesday 4 September 2012

GMSR 2012 - The Finale

Yesterday was the downtown Burlington crit. After the road race, I was honestly on the fence about whether I'd do it or not. It has a bit of a rep for crashes and I'm into having a good cx season. I decided that was a cop out and manned up. Even warmed up on the trainer all serious like.

Good decision. The race was fun as shit and despite a few random moments it wasn't even at all sketch. Fast and fun. I guess we spit a lot of guys out early on and kept doing so. I had fun, got some good racing in before cross season, and had some GC upside since there were likely to be some guys ahead on GC who got pulled or didn't finish same time.

In the end, I finished safely in the field and moved up to 23rd on GC. Would have been happier with a higher place but given the flat and some other stuff I'm good with it. It's an experience to build on. Callum rode like a boss, finished 8th in the crit and 20th on GC.

Everyone on our team, plus the wife, flatted over the course of the event. Callum was the only one smart enough to do it in the crit. My file from Sunday shows 19:00 absolutely dead flat out chasing back on. Wish I had the power and not just hr for that.

Great event put on by great people. Do it.

No comments: