Friday 20 July 2007

Games People Play

When I was a kid we played some dumb games. One of them was called "Captain, Captain, the boat is a crackin." This game was played on the pond in the wintertime. The object was to walk from chunk of floating ice to chunk of floating ice. I only fell in about 9 times playing this game. One of my brother's friends fell in one time and we put his pants out on the railing of my parent's porch. They froze. Then he slammed them against the porch and they broke.

Another game, which was a big favorite, involved riding your bike down the very short hill behind my friend's house. The other players would throw sticks at the rider's wheels. One time I had the perfect throw into my friend Rob's front spokes, sending him flying about 50 feet in the air.

My brother in law played a game called "The Falling Out Of A Tree Game." This was a simple game - the person who climbed the highest in the tree and jumped out won.

Now I play the "try to race bikes with a demanding full time job, a wife, some semblance of a social life and 36 years in the rear view mirror game." I think this is the dumbest game of them all.

No comments: