Tuesday, 8 December 2009

The Importance of Being Orange

It's come to my attention that white will be a prominent feature of the new team kit. Great. My paleness knows no bounds, reaching it's zenith sometime in the calendaric region sometime close to Jeff Cup. So the first picture of me throwing my hands in an elite race (you don't think I'm making that piece my bitch? maybe you got dropped should be on standby too, though) will feature me, in a nice translucent hue, and leave you wondering how skin could make white Lycra seem dark by comparison.

Have you seen www.hotchickswithdouchebags.com? That's where I'm headed. The full orange. Buy stock in makers of tan in a can. PRO! If you're a professional hater, I got a full time job for you.

New Year's Resolution #1: My training is planned. Assuming no major external events which necessitate big changes, there will be no changes more substantive than minor tweaks. There is more than enough credible info out there on the interwebs to make you chase your tail all year long. Based on personal experience and my identified strengths and weaknesses, I've built a plan that I think will work for me. To paraphrase Tom Watson (the IBM founder, not the golfer) - "the worst decision is no decision. Make the wrong decision and it will smack you in the face and you can do something about it. Make the right decision and you win. Make no decision and you'll never know why you did, but you'll always fail." He's one of history's few corporate titans who I still respect in any way. Jack Welch? Fraud. Alfred P. Sloan? No doubt his intentions were good - he wasn't a crook like Welch. But his legacy is the wasteful, planned obsolescence, throw away mindset that's wrecking the joint.

With my team situation, I've got my role. There is no need for me to try and become a sprinter (which never would have happened anyway), so I'm going to spend the time that would have been spent there becoming better at what I'm good at. This means a couple more months of working hard on strength, a lot of time working on threshold, a shit ton of work in the 5 minute range (mostly coming late in the winter), and the ultra top secret cross training that I do. If you wanted to debunk my whole plan, you could cite any number of things to do so. In the immortal words of Smokey - "I don't give a F--K!" You pay your money and you make your choice, the racing will tell the tale.

All that said, the best mid season tweak that I've ever done was incorporating a suggestion from Cycling Tips to put the hard work of a hard workout near the end. Races are hard toward the end, makes all the sense in the world. Surprisingly shortly after making this change, I noticed how much more mentally ready I was to fight at the end of races, and had much better results. Even without any physiological adaptation, the mental change had the desired effect. Your head ain't there just to show your good taste in shades and helmets.

2 comments:

Jim Wilson said...

Yep. Waston's good. I also like Lew Platt and Edward Land, not big industrialists, but good teamwork and innovator/knowledge leaders. How'd you develop your insight on Welch? Too much market slicing?

Right, good deal biking ... JW

Chuck Wagon said...

Exactly, Jim. So much gaming the system. The whole "synergistic business units" model seems to be CEO code for "enough rugs to sweep stuff under so that our results look spectacular."

Edward Land is the camera guy, right? I'd like to learn more about him. Having an old Polaroid is almost as hipster as a fixie with WICKED narrow bars these days.